Wednesday, April 30, 2014

How I Made A Yarn Bowl With Polymer Clay

Okay, lets Get Started.
 I had a bunch of left over Polymer Clay 
and wanted to make something fun out of it.
I have made a lot of buttons, beads and key chains.
I thought it would be fun to try to make a 
colorful Yarn Bowl from the Polymer Clay.

What You Need:
Polymer Clay - 3 or 4 colors
Glass Oven Safe Bowls - 
(I purchased a set of 4 Pyrex bowls)
Rolling Pin
Parchment Paper
Baking Sheet
Knife 
Small Cookie Cutters for making holes
Corn Starch

Preheat Oven to 225
Bake for 15 minutes

See The Video On my Youtube Channel at This LINK



Sounded easy, right?
I preheated the over to 225.
And Began to roll out the canes.

Put out a large piece of parchment paper, 
and began to form the canes in a circle shape.

I then began to roll out the canes until they were pretty flat.
About 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick.

I picked out the dog bone cookie cutter to form
 the shape for the yarn to go through.

I shaped the circle around a oven safe bowl and 
cut out the shape for the yarn to come thorough.
I am thinking this is pretty fun, and pretty easy. 
 I am loving the color fun design.

I put the bowl on a cookie sheet, 
and baked the bowl for 15 minutes.
When the timer went off I was so excited......


My excitement stopped when after cooling the bowl,
 for about 30 minutes,
 It broke into many colorful pieces.

I was very disappointed, but determined to try again.

So I did.
I didn't have as pretty a mix of colors,
But I do like how the colors look.
I did everything exactly as I did on the first bowl.

A good tip - Put a little corn starch on the bowl, 
before putting the clay on.

Also, Gently remove The Yarn bowl from the Glass bowl, 
while it is still a little warm.

Then let cool the rest of the way.
 I would not use it till after 24 hours.

So here is the yarn bowl. 
It is cute, but very fragile and not really usable.
It is a pretty prop.

So I tried a gain, and again!
And I Love The end results!
Small Yarn Bowl is 4 inches across,
 with tiny hearts for the holes. 


Large Yarn bowl is 5 inches across,
With a Heart Paw print for the holes.
 It was fun to play with the clay.
If you try this, let me know your results.
I would love to see your yarn bowls.

Post a pic on my Facebook page at
 Posh Pooch Designs

No comments: